52 Ancestors: Week #4 --Mamie Cole Bryant Johnson Obituary

I am participating in the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge put forth by Amy Johnson Crow of the blog No Story Too Small. If you aren't familiar with the challenge be sure to check out her blog.

I am continuing on with sharing about my Bryant ancestors. So far I have shared about my 3rd great grandparents, Caroline Ellison Bryant and Henry Bryant and their daughter Jonas Bryant.  This post shows the obituary of Jonas's daughter Mamie Cole Bryant Johnson.  My mother recalls that my great grandfather's sister was usual referred to as "Sis Mame."  She was born December 11, 1891 in Morehead City, NC. She appears listed on the 1910 Federal Census listed as Mary in the household of her grandmother, Caroline Bryant.

Source Information: Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.

Sometime between 1910 and 1920 she married a Robert H. Johnson. I believe she moved with him and spent time in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mamie's mother, Jonas Bryant, passed away in October 1927. In Jonas's will she left Mamie her house and a lot along with all her furniture. You can see a copy of Jonas Bryant's will in my post The Earrings. Mamie returned to Morehead City by 1930 and lived in the home she had inherited from her mother. 

Here's the census for 1940:

Source Information:  Ancestry.com. 1940 United States Federal Census [database on-line].
 Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.

Her occupation was listed as a maid who worked in a private home. A couple of years ago, I learned from a conversation that I had with Mamie's daughter, Jonas Barco, that she worked for the family of Charles Slover Wallace, the same family my great grandfather Frank Bryant worked for.

I know of three of Mamie's children.

Frank Lluellen Johnson (b. February 11, 1926 --d. January 3, 1993)
Jonas Johnson Barco (b. 1932--)
Jesse A Johnson (b. May 18, 1918 --Mar 9, 2003)




One of the nice things I learned after reviewing the information I had on "Sis Mame" is she and my maternal grandmother shared the same middle name, "Cole." I don't know if this name has some special significance in our family. Guess I'll be chatting with my mom tomorrow to see if she knows something. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A Long Time

Amanuensis Monday: Charity Ambrose Deed to Mt. Olive Methodist Church

Pink Invitational 2020