The Book Of Me: Prompt 19 --Who Do You Miss Most?

If you are not familiar with this wonderful project that was created by Julie Goucher of the Angler's Rest blog, please refer to this link: http://www.anglers-rest.net/book-of-me-written-by-you.html.

This week’s prompt is Who Do You Miss Most?

Having just gone through the Festive season our thoughts turn to those not with us.

Whether that is people who live elsewhere and that we will not see over the festive season
People that have passed away.
Who do you miss?
Why do you miss them?
Them as an individual
Something specific to them.

Talk about a tough question. I think the answer changes day to day based on the circumstances that particular day brings. I do have to say that I often find myself missing the hugs and kisses that my grandmothers would give.  When I was little I would call each of them Mom Mom. I had three grandmother’s so that would be three Mom Moms.  That sense of comfort that a hug from Mom Mom would bring is what I miss most when I am feeling down.  I miss the sound of my Grandmother Horton saying my name in her soft but husky voice, "Awnn-dree-uhh, come here baby."

Mom Mom Horton and Me

A hug from Mom Mom Horton (my maternal grandmother) would leave me feeling cozy, cherished, safe and above all…loved.

Mom Mom Horton was all about the hugs and snuggles for me but Mom Mom Murrell (my paternal grandmother) and her love was more about her daily presence. She was a constant in my life when I was young because she and my granddaddy would babysit for my brother and I after school.  Her love was steady...assured, ever present and was also about the --FOOD!  Collard greens, sweet potato soufflé, corn pudding, any kind of homemade cake you could imagine.  My mouth is watering right now as I write this. That blessed woman could cook her butt off. Thanksgiving has never been quite the same since she passed on.  I miss her kitchen. It was my home away from home.


Then there was Mom Mom Harrison. She was my maternal grandfather’s second wife.   I miss that smile that would greet me when I came over to visit. She always took the time out to listen to what was going on in my life. I remember one year I recited a poem to her for her birthday that I found in my Highlight’s magazine. It was about the joy of St Patrick’s day and it seemed appropriate since she was born on that day. I was so nervous but I managed to get out all the words that I had memorized.  The smile and hug she gave to me that day made me feel like a million bucks.  Her smile was like sunshine and I miss that.


Gosh, I miss the comfort of them. Grandmothers are comfort. Grandmother's are guardians. Grandmothers are love.

Comments

  1. This is such a lovely tribute to three wonderful women who made you feel loved. I know you do the same for the people in your life. Your face has always been so full of light, your spirit radiant and full of love. Thank you for sharing your grandmothers with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to make me cry with your comment. You are so sweet! I have to say right back at you girl because you have shared so much love and light with others and have inspired me to boot. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. Not related to this post but thought I would pass on this news. They have free access this month. http://go.fold3.com/blackhistory/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Mark and for the info as well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Renate! I know that I carry their spirits with me but sometimes I just miss those hugs and kisses so much.

      Delete
  4. Aww, this was soo nice. I can almost feel the love Andrea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A Long Time

Amanuensis Monday: Charity Ambrose Deed to Mt. Olive Methodist Church

Pink Invitational 2020