The Book Of Me: Prompt 54 --School Trips

If you are not familiar with this wonderful project that was created by Julie Goucher of the Angler's Rest blog, please refer to this link:  http://www.anglers-rest.net/book-of-me-written-by-you.html

This week's prompt is - School Trips
Did you go on any school trips?
Where did you go?
Memories and trinkets of those special days?



I went on a number of school trips back in the day. When I attended St Pascal's Baylon school in St. Albans, NY, the annual trip to the Bronx Zoo was one of my favorites. Shucks anytime I got on a bus and I was out of the school building for a day, I was pretty darn happy. School trips usually meant me having one of my favorite lunches, peanut butter and jelly with a grape soda. The grape soda made it special. It was something my mom would only do for field trips. Anyway, the Bronx Zoo was a lot of fun. I remember one year they had a white tiger on exhibit which was a big deal. I think that was the year I had money to purchase something from the gift shop and I bought a bracelet that had a tiger on it.

Rockaways' Playland! Oh wow, now that was a good trip. They had a small kiddie roller coaster that went around in a circle. I think that was the first time I ever rode one.  My favorites from that place were a ride called the Tilt-A-Whirl and the Fun House. 


Another year we went to Bertrand's Island on Lake Hopatcong, NJ. I didn't particularly care for the park. It seemed a bit run down and it poured rain the whole time we were there. Most of the time I spent hovering under the awning of a gift shop, trying to stay dry. Perhaps if it had been sunnier the day we went, I would have had as much fun as the kids in this video.



Both of those amusement parks were torn down, I'm sad to say.

When I was in the 8th grade, my earth science class took a field trip to the Delaware Water Gap and Bushkill Falls, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My mom was a chaperon on the trip and she was totally cool about it. She never hovered over me when my friends were around. We would talk during the trip and hang out for a bit but she also knew I needed my space to have time with my friends. 

My high school's senior class took a trip to Washington, D.C. On the day we left, we had to be up and at the school at 4 am or something to board the buses. That early hour did not agree with my then teenage body but thanks again to my mom she had me all packed and up to school on time. If I remember correctly, I think the first day we visited Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens. We spent the night somewhere and then the next day we spent in Washington D.C.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been A Long Time

Amanuensis Monday: Charity Ambrose Deed to Mt. Olive Methodist Church

Pink Invitational 2020